The Blue Nib Submission Guidelines
We are not accepting poetry submissions at the moment. The next open submission window for poetry and for our featured poet selections is from September 16th to November 1st 2020. Work received will be considered for issue 44 and issue 45.
We are not accepting fiction submissions at the moment. The next general open submission window for fiction and our featured author selections is from September 16th 2020 to November 1st 2020. Work received will be considered for issue 44 and issue 45 We also accept fiction for inclusion on the website.
The Write Life with Clare Morris accepts submissions throughout the year. Essays that reflect the writing communities response to world events are particularly welcome as are essays on the life of the working writer. Memoir and general interest essays. If you are unsure what to submit, email Clare, details below.
What We Publish
We publish new, previously unpublished work by established and emerging writers. We have a particular interest in promoting the short story and exceptional poetry. Each issue includes a mix of poetry, fiction and commissioned essays as well as reviews. We also welcome submissions of poetry and prose in translation.
The Write Life with Clare Morris publishes essays, opinion pieces and OpEd, with a particular emphasis on writers reaction to current world events. We also welcome articles and essays that will be of interest to the writing community and writer memoir.
The Critical Nib with Emma Lee, publishes reviews of recently published poetry and fiction. If you wish to make a review request, email Emma, details are below.
- Only work submitted through our submissions page will be considered.
- No more than one story and/or poetry submission should be submitted during any one submission period.
- Work must be previously unpublished and ideally should not be under consideration elsewhere. If it is accepted for publication elsewhere please notify us immediately – contact details below. If you need to withdraw your submission for any reason, you can do so by emailing us at [email protected]
- Short stories and poems should be as long (or as short) as they need to be.
- For general poetry submissions, send up to 5 poems. Your poems should be submitted together in one single word file.
In each issue we will feature a number of poems (usually 5) by a poet who is working seriously towards a first collection. To be considered, you should already have had work published in several other journals and magazines. We welcome poets who are previously published by The Blue Nib. Please submit 6-8 previously unpublished poems together in a single file to the editor for your geographical area. If we want to see more, we will get back to you. To be considered for this slot, please title your work as FEATURED POET If submitting for the Featured Poet slot, you may make a separate general poetry submission. *We may consider individual poems within your Featured Poet submission for publication.
In each issue we will feature a story by a featured writer by an author who is working seriously towards a first collection of short fiction. To be considered, you should already have had work published in several other journals and magazines. We welcome authors who are previously published by The Blue Nib. Please submit 3 previously unpublished stories together in a single file. If we want to see more, we will get back to you. To be considered for this slot, please title your work as FEATURED AUTHOR and submit to the fiction editor. If submitting for the Featured Author slot, you may make a separate general fiction submission. *We may consider individual stories within your Featured Poet submission for publication on the site or in print.
- All submissions are read. The editors’ decision may not be correct but it is final. We aim to contact everyone within 1 month of submission but we will occasionally take longer
- Copyright of accepted work remains with the author. Work published in the magazine may also be included on our website.
How To Submit
To submit to the magazine please select the relevant editor below. If the editor is not accepting submissions their email will not be displayed.