Submit Poetry, Fiction, NONFICTION & Reviews
Submissions are open for issue 40. 15th September to 1st November.
Give your work the best possible chance by following our submission guidelines.
Because we pay for content used in the print magazine, you must be a registered user to submit work. Please ensure that the email you use to register is the same email you use to receive Paypal Payments.
At The Blue Nib, we appreciate your submissions of poetry, fiction, non fiction and reviews. Please read our submission guidelines carefully and make sure you follow them to help us to make your work shine. Please also ensure that you submit to the relevant editor for your area.
Author images should be head and shoulders only and not include pets, other people or anything other than the author.
We require good quality photographs, taken on a camera not a mobile phone. We would love to have them cropped to a square format greater than 600 x 600 pixels, as this will save us having to do it.
Please do not send grainy or out-of-focus photographs, as we cannot use them and your submission may be rejected.
Limit your biography to the required word limit. If you exceed it, your biography may be edited or your submission rejected.
Only list your three most recent or relevant publications – and please, no information about your pets, kids or spouse though we’re sure they are lovely.
A Note on Formatting
We only accept submissions via our easy-to-use submission portals. Do not email submissions direct as they will not be read. Submissions should be as PDFs or Word docs. All work should be in Times New Roman, 12 pt and single spaced.
- Submit between 3 and 5 poems.
- All work must be your own.
- Poems in excess of 40 lines tend to lose the reader’s attention, so we are unlikely to publish them.
- Upload your entire submission as one document.
- Capitalise and bold your Titles and insert page breaks between poems. Use ‘single quotes’ (not “double”) and italics for emphasis (not CAPS). Use a single space after full points. (not double. )
- Poetry that has appeared on personal blogs and peer review sites is acceptable but we are not keen on work that has been published elsewhere.
If your work is accepted by another publisher, please email to let us know.
- We do our best to follow your layout, but occasionally the reproduction of line breaks and indents may not be exact.
- Submission and reading periods are outlined below.
- You will be asked for an author photograph and short biography – please adhere to the requirements given above.
This Blog Post by our Reviews Editor, Emma Lee, offers some great advice for poets on how NOT to submit, not only to The Blue Nib, but any potential publisher.
Submitting Fiction & Non-fiction
- Submissions of fiction and non-fiction must be between 750 and 3000 words. Occasionally, if pieces are exceptional, we may accept longer or shorter pieces.
- Each submission must contain only a single piece but we accept multiple submissions.
- Our preference is for strong literary fiction and essays that are well structured and address a single subject.
- We only accept submissions during our open reading periods. Reading periods are outlined below.
We welcome book reviews for inclusion in our print issue or online. If you are unsure about what we accept, please email our reviews editor, Emma Lee at email@example.com. Do not email reviews direct as they will not be accepted.
When submitting reviews, include an image of the book’s front cover. Please note that images must be of good quality and high resolution.
- Include the price of the book you are reviewing and links to where it can be purchased.
- List the publisher and the ISBN of the book.
- When you submit a review you will be asked to submit an author biography and photograph. We prefer good quality author photographs that have been cropped square and greater than 600 ×600 pixels
- Please ensure your biography does not exceed our word limit.
- If you have a published a book and you would like Emma to consider it for review, contact her by email.
Submit reviews to our Reviews Editor Here.
Submit poetry, fiction or non-fiction and reviews during our open reading periods as follows.
- September 16th to November 1st, for publication in Winter Issue, December 15th or later issues.
- December 16th to February 1st, for publication in our Spring Issue, March 15th, or later issues.
- March 16th to May 1st, for publication in our Summer Issue, June 15th, or later issues.
- June 16th to to August 1st, for publication in our Autumn Issue, September 15th, or later issues.
Contributing editors, please note that submissions of news and current articles to feature on the website are accepted at any time and are published weekly/daily online. If you still have questions regarding submissions, please address them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much do we pay for unsolicited work?
Beginning in September 2019 we will be paying €10.00 for essays and short stories, and €5.00 for a poetry submission which we accept for print. Payment is made on publication for original, unpublished work. We purchase first Worldwide serial rights and first Worldwide Electronic rights for three months; after that rights revert to the author, although we do reserve the right to keep the work in our archives indefinitely and to use it in reprints, reissues and promotion.
Payments are made through PayPal using the email address listed on your account.
We do not pay for content published on the website only.