Someone recently asked me why I decided to run a monthly writers’ coaching clinic. After all, I co-facilitate a weekly writers’ forum, so was this this simply more of the same?
The best way I could explain it was that the weekly forum focuses on the writing itself while the clinic focuses on the writer. How do we look after ourselves as writers? How do we design and sustain flourishing creative practices that will keep us writing, long after the first flush of excitement at getting our thoughts down on paper passes?
As we all know, talent is never enough to make a great writer. Sure, talent is a very important ingredient, but without resilience, good writing habits and strategic thinking, many of us struggle to either begin or sustain our practice.
Here are some some examples of what writers typically bring to a creative coaching session:
- I want to start writing but don’t know how to begin
- I’m struggling to find time to write
- How do I support myself as a writer?
- I’ve hit a writer’s block and don’t know how to move through it
- How do I know if I’m a good enough writer?
- How do I go about submitting my work for publication?
- How do I pull together a collection of poetry/short stories?
- How do I keep going with my novel?
- How can I take myself seriously as a writer?
Through the coaching process, writers identify where they want to go with their writing, define what success looks and feels like to them, discuss the challenges facing them, explore options open to them, and finally, choose a way forward that’s just right for them. My job as a coach is to really listen, hold the space, guide them to the process and applaud loudly when they take a bow.
The monthly Writers’ Coaching Clinic is held on the last Saturday of every month from 10am to 12pm, at Books Upstairs on D’Olier Street, Dublin 2.
Anne Tannam is a creative coach, poet and co-facilitator of the Dublin Writers’ Forum. For more information on Anne, go to www.creativecoaching.ie
To book your place on the clinic now, simply click on the link and choose a slot: writerscoachingclinic.youcanbook.me